portupgrade -f advice please

Robert Huff roberthuff at rcn.com
Sat Jan 1 13:29:07 UTC 2011

David Southwell writes:

>  A bit puzzled
>
>  I have a problem with apache22 loading and decided before doing
>  anything else that I would upgrade apache22 recursively to
>  rebuild all ports upon which it depened and which depend upon
>  apache.
>
>  The (to me) logical command was:
>
>  dns1# portupgrade -frR apache22
>
>  Which generated the following:
>  [Exclude up-to-date packages  done]
>
>  Man portupgrade shows:
>   -f
>       --force                Force the upgrade of a package even if it is to be
>                              a downgrade or just a reinstall of the same ver-
>                              sion, or the port is held by user using the
>                              HOLD_PKGS variable in pkgtools.conf.
>
>  I do not want to exclude packages that appear to be
>  up-to-date. Where is this limitation on force set?

	Assuming the reoirt if generated output is verbatim, I beleive
this is behaving as you desire.  Usually the "Excluding up-to-date
packages" line includes what I believe is one dot per package so
excluded.
	I would argue a better notification would be something like:

	'R' and 'f' options specifed - skipping up-to-date dependency checks.

					Robert Huff