[Request for Comments] Add a "AFFECT" relationship between ports

Luca Pizzamiglio l.pizzamiglio at bally-wulff.de
Wed Aug 24 07:34:37 UTC 2011

Hi people,

I would like to propose a new "feature"/"ports relationship"/"variable"
on ports management.
We could call this feature "AFFECT" and it exports a kind of dependency.

I'd explain the behavior with an example: nvidia-driver port.
During the installation process, this port moves the official Xorg
openGL installing the NVidia ones.
Removing nvidia-driver port, the old official libraries are restored.

libGL port & C. ignore this kind of stuff and if you update them with
the nvidia-driver port installed, you overwrite the Nvidia libraries and
the restore procedure (of the nvidia-driver) restores the not-updated
official Xorg libraries.

This kind of relationship is not a CONFLICT or a DEPEND, it's something
different. nvidia-driver AFFECT graphics/libGL, but graphics/libGL must
ignore the presence of nvidia-driver.

The AFFECT should state: libGL is affected by nvidia-driver, then the
update procedure is:
* deinstall nvidia-driver
* update libGL
* reinstall nvidia-driver

Comments & ideas are really welcome!
If you agree, we could start implementation&test of this feature.

Best regards,

Luca
Conrad