Ruby 19 install(?) failure

Kevin Oberman kob6558 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 00:56:13 UTC 2011

On Aug 23, 2011 5:33 PM, "Steve Wills" <swills at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 08/23/11 18:08, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Kevin Oberman <kob6558 at gmail.com>
wrote:
> >> I just tried upgrading ruby to lang/ruby19 as per ports/UPDATING.
> >> Looks like build just patches and the 'make install' does most of the
> >> real work. In any case, it fails.
> >>
> >> cc -shared -o ../../.ext/amd64-freebsd8/zlib.so zlib.o -L. -L../.. -L.
> >>  -rdynamic -Wl,-soname,../../.ext/amd64-freebsd8/zlib.so  -Wl,-R
> >> -Wl,/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib -lruby19 -lz  -lthr -lrt -lcrypt
> >> -lm -L/usr/local/lib  -rpath=/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib -pthread  -lc
> >> making ruby19
> >> make: don't know how to make NO_DEPENDS. Stop
> >> *** Error code 2
> >>
> >> Running 8.2-Stable of Aug 19.
> >>
> >> Any idea what's wrong?
> >> Thanks!
> >
> > Now I'm very confused. After the same failure three times, I tied a
> > manual "make install"
> > and it worked. I then re-ran the "portmaster -o lang/ruby19
> > /lang/ruby18 and it semed to be OK, but when I ran the "portmaster -R
> > -r lang/ruby-1.9, it tried to install ruby18-gems and that tried to
> > re-install ruby18.
> >
> > Am I missing something?
>
> My apologies for the trouble. Can you tell me what version of FreeBSD
> you're on and what other packages you have installed?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

As stated, 8-Stable of Aug. 19. I should have also mentioned that it's an
amd64 system.

I have about 900 ports installed including a full gnome system and a number
of multimedia ports inc. ffmpeg, handbrake, mplayer, lame, avidemux, and
several that don't come to mind.

If you need it, I can send the full list when I get back to my system.

Thanks!

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Retired
kob6558 at gmail.com