patch upgrade for port committers?

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jan 29 13:47:40 UTC 2010

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 07:38:40 -0600
Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen at missouri.edu> wrote:

> Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
> > On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 17:01:44 -0600 (CST)
> > Stephen Montgomery-Smith<stephen at missouri.edu>  wrote:
>
> >> Also, I have taken to using shar files instead of diff's when
> >> creating new files.
> >
> > Don't please, it makes committer's work harder.
> > And update to a port should be a diff. Preferably a cvs diff -u.
> >

> I am thinking of something like this:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/142360
>
> I separated the diff and the shar files - diff for what is already
> existing, and shar for new files.
>
> Are you saying that you would prefer if I had done a single diff with
> "diff -urN"?

I would prefer this:
http://people.tecnik93.com/~itetcu/FreeBSD/How-to-submit-a-diff.txt

> Part of the reason I started to do this is because, even when I had
> clear messages like "there are new files XXX and YYY" they would
> still get forgotten by committers.

Yes, we're all only humans.

A single diff for me means:
cd ~/tmp/PCVS
pcvs ci portname
cd portname
/usr/ports/Tools/scripts/getpr pr_no
/usr/ports/Tools/scripts/prpatch

Anything else means more.

FreeBSD committer -> itetcu at FreeBSD.org, PGP Key ID 057E9F8B493A297B