Trouble upgrading math/fftw3 on 6.4-STABLE

bf bf2006a at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 4 05:51:45 UTC 2009

--- On Thu, 6/4/09, Leslie Jensen <leslie at eskk.nu> wrote:

> From: Leslie Jensen <leslie at eskk.nu>
> Subject: Re: Trouble upgrading math/fftw3 on 6.4-STABLE
> To: "bf" <bf2006a at yahoo.com>
> Cc: freebsd-ports at FreeBSD.org, clint.olsen at gmail.com
> Date: Thursday, June 4, 2009, 12:40 AM
> >
> > to /etc/make.conf.  And if you really want to
> save
> > time, network traffic, and disk space, and you don't
> need to use math/fftw3 with Fortran programs, then build
> math/fftw3 WITHOUT_FORTRAN, by changing
> > math/fftw3's FORTRAN option to 'off' via 'make
> > config'. Then you won't have to install lang/gcc43,
> > with or without gcj.
> >
> > b.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Deselecting the fortran option solves the problem with
> fftw3.
>
> But if some port will want to install gcc later the problem
> will reoccour.

Yes, although lang/gcc43 is primarily used for
Fortran-related ports.  Only a handful of others
require it, although you could use it to build
many more if you wanted.

> As of now I don't need gcc but I'm not happy with the
> knowledge that one port will not build. I've tried all the
> suggestions that have been given here on the list and none
> of them have helped gcc build on my system.

What is your system?  What version of FreeBSD?
What architecture? Something is wrong with your
system, because it should be able to build and
install the lang/gcc43 port, especially
WITHOUT_JAVA.

> Any suggestions on how to digg further into the gcc won't
> build problem?

You need to tell us more details about your
system. For starters, how about the output for the
following commands:

'uname -a'
'sysctl kern.maxdsiz'
'make -C /usr/ports/lang/gcc43 -V WITHOUT_JAVA'
'make -C /usr/ports/lang/gcc43 -V WRKSRC'
'make -C /usr/ports/lang/gcc43 -V PORTVERSION'
'df -m'
'sysctl hw.usermem'
'swapinfo -m'

Try to build lang/gcc43 with
'make clean install WITHOUT_JAVA=yes', using an
up-to-date ports tree.  Capture the output
by redirecting to a file or using the script(1)
command.  What happens when the build fails? Are
there any system error messages on the console?
What happens near the end of your build transcript,
when things begin to go wrong?  What are the make
error messages?

> I'll try installing gcc as a package and see if it works.
> What about when there's an upgrade availible then? Won't the
> build problem reoccour?

Recently, gerald updates lang/gcc43 about once
every week or two weeks.  Most of the time, it's
not absolutely necessary for you to track those
updates, although that would probably be best.  In
any event, most ports that depend upon lang/gcc43
simply trigger a search for the gcc43 or
gfortran43  binary executables, and as long as they
are in your PATH -- as they probably will be if
you've installed a package -- then there probably
won't be a problem, even if they're not the latest
version. After you've built a port that depends
upon lang/gcc43, you'll probably have to keep
lang/gcc43 installed, because the dependent port
may be linked to some lang/gcc43 libraries, and
will need them in order to run properly.  When
you update lang/gcc43, it would be best to rebuild
the ports that depend upon it, although most of the
time this isn't necessary.  If you use portupgrade
you can add lang/gcc43 to your USE_PKGS_ONLY array
in pkgtools.conf. Otherwise manually update
lang/gcc43 using pkg_add or portupgrade -PP,
and then use the appropriate -x switches to ignore
it if you do further updates with portmaster or
portupgrade.

b.