call for testing: print/hplip update, pass 2

Juergen Lock nox at jelal.kn-bremen.de
Sat Jul 11 18:58:10 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 08:31:38PM +0200, Juergen Lock wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 12:07:05AM +0200, I wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 10:44:46PM +0400, Dmitry Marakasov wrote:
> >[...]
>
> > > As I understood, the update has regressions compared to the hplip
> > > version which is currently in ports, thus it's not possible to just
> > > update it. Can you (both Jurgen and Chris) give me a brief summary of
> > > how the update is better and worse than the current version? If it has
> > > enough working/new features, it would be nice to commit this change as
> > > hplip-devel. And, in either case, how hard is it (if possible) to
> > > fix the regressions?
> >
> > Well the usb issue with my new printer also exists with the old version
> > thats currently in ports as I now found out, and the only other issue
> > that I remember (printing ascii or ps to the fax queue) could just as
> > well be a problem/incompatiblity with the new cups version...  And
> > additionally, the old version's hp-setup seems to be incompatible with
> > today's cups, at least it was unable to add the network print queues
> > for my new printer when I tried it now.  (unlike the new version.  And
> > also the gui certainly has improved.)
> >
> >  Btw that testing just unconvered another bug: the package needs to add
> > hpaio to ${LOCALBASE)/etc/sane.d/dll.conf too...
> >
> >  I guess I should test the fax queue on Linux, and possibly usb on head...
> > (fixing usb would at least need someone that still knows the old usb
> > stack I'd say.  _If_ it works on head. :)
>
> I now tested the fax queue with a Linux vbox guest (sidux 2009-02 preview
> xfce lite running from the iso after
> 	apt-get install hplip hplip-ppds hplip-gui python-gobject
> and configuring network printing/faxing using hp-setup), and it seemed
> to work there - until I hit `cancel' in hp-sendfax, after which new
> jobs printed to the fax queue didn't show up in hp-sendfax anymore,
> although it still did get invoked.  Oh and also a test page sent to
> the fax queue using the cups webinterface didn't appear in hp-sendfax.
>
>  So the fax queue does have bugs on Linux too, but it certainly works
> better than with our port... :)

I just noticed hplip on Linux installed hpijs as a dependency, so maybe
we should update ours (sidux's hpijs also is at 3.9.4b-1) and do the same
instead of having hplip install its own copy?  (--enable-hpijs-install)

 Here is the full list of dependencies installed: (and suggested/recommended)

root at sidux:/home/sidux# apt-get install hplip hplip-ppds hplip-gui python-gobject
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Note, selecting hpijs-ppds instead of hplip-ppds
  cupsddk cupsddk-drivers foomatic-filters hpijs hpijs-ppds hplip-data
  libaudio2 libffi5 libphonon4 libqt4-assistant libqt4-dbus libqt4-designer
  libqt4-help libqt4-network libqt4-script libqt4-scripttools libqt4-sql
  libqt4-svg libqt4-test libqt4-webkit libqt4-xml libqt4-xmlpatterns
  libqtcore4 libqtgui4 libsensors3 libsnmp-base libsnmp15 python-dbus
  python-imaging python-qt4 python-qt4-dbus python-reportlab python-sip4
  python-support
Suggested packages:
  hplip-doc kdeprint gtklp xpp openprinting-ppds nas libqt4-dev lm-sensors
  python-dbus-doc python-dbus-dbg python-gobject-dbg python-imaging-doc
  python-imaging-dbg python-qt4-dbg pdf-viewer python-egenix-mxtexttools
  python-reportlab-doc
Recommended packages:
  foomatic-db-engine sane-utils libqt4-sql-mysql libqt4-sql-odbc
  libqt4-sql-psql libqt4-sql-sqlite libqt4-sql-sqlite2 libqt4-sql-ibase
  qt4-qtconfig python-reportlab-accel python-renderpm
  cupsddk cupsddk-drivers foomatic-filters hpijs hpijs-ppds hplip hplip-data
  hplip-gui libaudio2 libffi5 libphonon4 libqt4-assistant libqt4-dbus
  libqt4-designer libqt4-help libqt4-network libqt4-script libqt4-scripttools
  libqt4-sql libqt4-svg libqt4-test libqt4-webkit libqt4-xml
  libqt4-xmlpatterns libqtcore4 libqtgui4 libsensors3 libsnmp-base libsnmp15
  python-dbus python-gobject python-imaging python-qt4 python-qt4-dbus
  python-reportlab python-sip4 python-support
0 upgraded, 37 newly installed, 0 to remove and 98 not upgraded.
Need to get 40.0MB of archives.
After this operation, 119MB of additional disk space will be used.

 Wondering...
	Juergen