call for testing: print/hplip update, pass 2

Juergen Lock nox at jelal.kn-bremen.de
Sat Jul 11 18:39:20 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 12:07:05AM +0200, I wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 10:44:46PM +0400, Dmitry Marakasov wrote:
>[...]

> > As I understood, the update has regressions compared to the hplip
> > version which is currently in ports, thus it's not possible to just
> > update it. Can you (both Jurgen and Chris) give me a brief summary of
> > how the update is better and worse than the current version? If it has
> > enough working/new features, it would be nice to commit this change as
> > hplip-devel. And, in either case, how hard is it (if possible) to
> > fix the regressions?
>
> Well the usb issue with my new printer also exists with the old version
> thats currently in ports as I now found out, and the only other issue
> that I remember (printing ascii or ps to the fax queue) could just as
> well be a problem/incompatiblity with the new cups version...  And
> additionally, the old version's hp-setup seems to be incompatible with
> today's cups, at least it was unable to add the network print queues
> for my new printer when I tried it now.  (unlike the new version.  And
> also the gui certainly has improved.)
>
>  Btw that testing just unconvered another bug: the package needs to add
> hpaio to ${LOCALBASE)/etc/sane.d/dll.conf too...
>
>  I guess I should test the fax queue on Linux, and possibly usb on head...
> (fixing usb would at least need someone that still knows the old usb
> stack I'd say.  _If_ it works on head. :)

I now tested the fax queue with a Linux vbox guest (sidux 2009-02 preview
xfce lite running from the iso after
	apt-get install hplip hplip-ppds hplip-gui python-gobject
and configuring network printing/faxing using hp-setup), and it seemed
to work there - until I hit `cancel' in hp-sendfax, after which new
jobs printed to the fax queue didn't show up in hp-sendfax anymore,
although it still did get invoked.  Oh and also a test page sent to
the fax queue using the cups webinterface didn't appear in hp-sendfax.

 So the fax queue does have bugs on Linux too, but it certainly works
better than with our port... :)

 Cheers,
	Juergen

PS: This was hplip 3.9.4b-1 on Linux while our new port is 3.9.6.