downgrade xorg to 7.1

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun Dec 27 16:41:19 UTC 2009

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009, x z wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 3:39 AM, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 26 Dec 2009, x z wrote:
>>
>>  I would downgrade xorg from 7.4 to 7.1 for display driver.
>>
>> Why?
>>
> Because I have a Matrox G550 card which has property driver supported up to
> xorg 7.1.

I used a couple of G400s which were far past their use-by dates and
spent a good deal of effort keeping them going.  The alternate 1.9.100
branch of the mga driver was better.  It needs patches to build with the
current xorg, which I have, but also there are reports of problems after
that.  Haven't worked on it because I replaced the cards and retired the
systems they were in.  The equipment is still available, and I may work
on it again sometime.  My page with information:

http://wonkity.com/~wblock/mgapatch/xorg-patch.txt

The patches to remove cfb code from 1.9.100 are in that directory now,
too, so they don't get lost.

You might also try the 1.4.11 version of the driver.  I don't know if
it's a drop-in replacement for the 1.4.10 in ports, or if it supports
your G550:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-mga/

If your hardware allows (PC98 and sparc apparently don't), replacing the
Matrox with a Radeon makes things much easier.