The new cups ports seem to not recognize or I don't know how to configure usb printers.

eculp eculp at encontacto.net
Thu Dec 3 19:10:48 UTC 2009

Quoting Steve Randall <srandall52 at gmail.com>:

> On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 08:43:06 -0600
> eculp <eculp at encontacto.net> wrote:
>
>> I haven't had a problem like this with cups in years. I updated cups
>> yesterday and can no longer print, install, reinstall usb printers. In
>> admin/add a printer I have no local options only:
>>
>> Other Network Printers: 	Internet Printing Protocol (http)
>>                                  Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)
>>                                  LPD/LPR Host or Printer
>>                                  AppSocket/HP JetDirect
>>
>> No input for discription, location, etc.  The usb printers are
>> recognized when connected or disconnected by the kernel.
>>
>> I am seeing this on both up to date current and 7.2 Stable.  I am
>> going through the documentation hoping to find the problem.  If not,
>> what is the best way to go back to the previous port?
>
> ports-mgmt/portdowngrade. However...
Steve,

Thanks for setting me clear.  I was totally lost and didn't remember
that 7 doesn't have the new USB stack.  My laptop is current and does.

After your explanation, probably the best route for 7 is ports
mgmt/portdowngrade.  I would think there would be an entry in
ports/UPDATING or something.

> I had the same problem. It looks like CUPS now uses libusb to access USB
> printers. I guess that means it no longer uses devices like /dev/ulptx,
> but instead (on 8.0, at least) /dev/usb/x.x.x. (I don't know about 7
> stable, which I assume still has the old USB stack?)

It would seem to.  There is no /dev/usb directory

> CUPS still needs permission to access the device, but now it has to be
> specified in a different place.

I'll give the latest cups a test on my laptop just to get me up to
date on printing although I almost never print.

Thanks again and have a great day,

ed