The new cups ports seem to not recognize or I don't know how to configure usb printers.

Steve Randall srandall52 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 18:41:33 UTC 2009

On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 08:43:06 -0600
eculp <eculp at encontacto.net> wrote:

> I haven't had a problem like this with cups in years. I updated cups
> yesterday and can no longer print, install, reinstall usb printers. In
> admin/add a printer I have no local options only:
>
> Other Network Printers: 	Internet Printing Protocol (http)
>                                  Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)
>                                  LPD/LPR Host or Printer
>                                  AppSocket/HP JetDirect
>
> No input for discription, location, etc.  The usb printers are
> recognized when connected or disconnected by the kernel.
>
> I am seeing this on both up to date current and 7.2 Stable.  I am
> going through the documentation hoping to find the problem.  If not,
> what is the best way to go back to the previous port?

ports-mgmt/portdowngrade. However...

I had the same problem. It looks like CUPS now uses libusb to access USB
printers. I guess that means it no longer uses devices like /dev/ulptx,
but instead (on 8.0, at least) /dev/usb/x.x.x. (I don't know about 7
stable, which I assume still has the old USB stack?)

CUPS still needs permission to access the device, but now it has to be
specified in a different place.

HTH