x11-toolkits/xview (actually contool)

Carlos A. M. dos Santos unixmania at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 01:37:27 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 5:50 PM, Tom Uffner<tom at uffner.com> wrote:
> Carlos A. M. dos Santos wrote:
>
>> Can't xconsole do the job for you instead of contool?
>
> more or less. i am using xconsole by default. however i prefer contool
> because it has the following features which are missing from every other
> X console program that I am aware of:
>
> 1. it can remain iconified (or entirely unmapped) and out of my way most
> of the time.
> 2. it can timestamp the messages it prints
> 3. it can alert me to the presence of new console messages by flashing
> its icon, beeping, and/or opening its window
> 4. it allows me to specify, using regular expression filters, the types
> of messages it should or should not alert on.
>
>> BTW, what problems do you have with contool? Are they the same ones
>> discussed before in these threads?
>>

>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2008-October/026516.html
>>
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2008-November/026722.html
>
> my xconsole still exhibits those problems. don't know about contool yet.

It is even worst on 8.0, now. Even making xconsole SUID root I can't
see any of the messages written to /dev/console. Using "xterm -C" does
not work.

> as i said, i haven't had the time to diagnose it yet. what console i use
> on my X workstations is not really that high a priority in the grand scheme
> of things. contool is exiting with this message:
>
> Assertion failed: (ret != inval_id), function _XAllocID, file xcb_io.c, line
> 378.
> Abort
>
> which may be another symptom of the tty layer changes, but i haven't really
> had time to look at it yet.

Looks like a bug in XCB. This would not be a surprise, given the poor
engineering of Xorg these days (lack of it, in fact). Try rebuilding
libX11 with the patch I sent in this PR:

You will not miss XCB. It is as useful as hole int your head.

--
My preferred quotation of Robert Louis Stevenson is "You cannot
make an omelette without breaking eggs". Not because I like the