[Testers wanted] /dev/console cleanups

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Tue Nov 18 14:26:29 PST 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 10:34:10PM +0100, Ed Schouten wrote:
> One solution would be to let xconsole just display /var/log/messages.

Errr... it may be rather a pathological case, but you might want to
check the content of /etc/syslog.conf on the local machine before
getting too carried away with that approach.

For example, on my "firewall" box at home (where I really do not want to
log anything to local disk files, though I do have a serial console on it):

janus(6.4-P)[1] grep -v '^#' /etc/syslog.conf
*.*                                             @bunrab.catwhisker.org
janus(6.4-P)[2]

And then consider the fate of bunrab -- with stuff getting logged to
/var/log/messages from various machines....

> I'll discuss this with others to decide if we should take such an
> approach.

I'm not trying to be obstructionist, here.  If the above case is really
"too pathological to consider" -- or if it's a case of me bringing that
fate upon myself, I suppose -- that's actually something I can live
with.  It would be nice to be forwarned about it, though.  :-}

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.