postfix-policyd-spf

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Fri Apr 3 19:26:04 PDT 2009

I have been having a terrible time trying to compile postfix-policyd-
spf.

Before I go into details, I'd like to ask whether there is an
alternative way to get a postfix SPF milter running.  If I can skip
this package, I think I'll be much happier.

postfix-policyd-spf specifically depends on

  LIB_DEPENDS=           spf2.1:${PORTSDIR}/mail/libspf2-10

However, libspf2-10 won't build without a force because of a known
security problem.

$ cd ../libspf2-10/
[jeffrey at winky /usr/ports/mail/libspf2-10]$ sudo make clean
===>  Cleaning for libspf2-1.0.4_1
[jeffrey at winky /usr/ports/mail/libspf2-10]$ sudo make build
===>  libspf2-1.0.4_1 has known vulnerabilities:
=> libspf2 -- Buffer overflow.
    Reference: <http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/portaudit/2ddbfd29-a455-11dd-a55e-00163e000016.html

Now there is also a port, mail/libspf2 which is more current.  And I
can build that just fine.

So I tried modifying the Makefile for postfix-policyd-spf thus

#LIB_DEPENDS=           spf2.1:${PORTSDIR}/mail/libspf2-10
LIB_DEPENDS=            spf2:${PORTSDIR}/mail/libspf2

However, postfix-policyd-spf will not build against libspf2,
complaining during configure:

checking for strings.h... (cached) yes
checking spf2/spf.h usability... no
checking spf2/spf.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: spf2/spf.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: spf2/spf.h:     check for missing prerequisite
headers?
configure: WARNING: spf2/spf.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: spf2/spf.h:     section "Present But Cannot Be
Compiled"
configure: WARNING: spf2/spf.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's
result
configure: WARNING: spf2/spf.h: in the future, the compiler will take
precedence
configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------------ ##
configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to the AC_PACKAGE_NAME lists.  ##
configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------------ ##
checking for spf2/spf.h... yes
checking for SPF_destroy_config in -lspf2... no
libspf2 is required to build this program.
===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
Please report the problem to mnag at FreeBSD.org [maintainer] and attach
the
"/usr/ports/mail/postfix-policyd-spf/work/policyd-1.0.1/config.log"
including
the output of the failure of your make command. Also, it might be a
good idea
to provide an overview of all packages installed on your system (e.g.
an `ls
/var/db/pkg`).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/mail/postfix-policyd-spf.

I emailed the maintainer about this sometime in December 2008 and was
told that the problem had been fixed in October.  It certainly isn't
fixed as I see things.

I will submit a proper PR about this, but I'm really just wondering if
I'm missing something obvious.  Or if there is some alternative way to
get SPF checking with postfix.

Cheers,

-j