pulseaudio - main.c: Daemon startup failed

parv at pair.com parv at pair.com
Fri Apr 3 10:45:55 PDT 2009

I am finally annoyed enough the message produced by pulseaudio ...

  Apr  3 05:15:12 holstein pulseaudio[91444]: main.c: Daemon startup failed.

... whenever flash plugin (graphics/swfdec, www/swfdec-plugin) is
invoked in Firefox.  I tried building the port with default options
selected, and no option selected at all.  Same difference.

When pulseaudio is run by itself (again, either with default options
or none) on the console, it produces ...

  pulseaudio
  I: caps.c: Dropping root privileges.
  W: main.c: High-priority scheduling enabled in configuration but not allowed by policy.
  W: pid.c: Stale PID file, overwriting.
  E: module-console-kit.c: Unable to contact D-Bus system bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.FileNotFound: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
  E: module.c: Failed to load  module "module-console-kit" (argument: ""): initialization failed.
  E: main.c: Module load failed.
  E: main.c: Failed to initialize daemon.

I do not see any dbus process running in ps(1) output if that would
be the real reason for pulseaudio to carp.  I do have these in
/etc/make.conf ...

  WITHOUT_HAL=    yes
  WITHOUT_DBUS=   yes

... if that matters.  After commenting out dbus variable, there was
no change.

I have these ports installed ...

  devel/dbus              dbus-1.2.1
  devel/dbus-glib         dbus-glib-0.76
  sysutils/hal            hal-0.5.11_1

Could anybody tell me please if there is any other way to get
pulseaudio to produce sound through the above mentioned flash
plugin?

  - Parv