Fw: Practices for naming packages compiled from ports.

Alexey Rubtsov arubtsov at parallels.com
Tue Apr 29 02:09:18 UTC 2008

Hi,

Sorry to previous spam.

I'm trying to compile package from port systitis/pecl-fileinfo and was
some saddened. This package consists depend to php, but name of
compiled package was pecl-fileinfo for either php version.

In answer to my bug to this problem:

I get that so names for packages "it's not a bug, it's common
practice".

I didn't understand this practice. Why i can't to compile the same
package with several names by included dependencies into package.
In the same time i see many php extensions with php4- or php5- prefix
into package name which detected by php version installed into system.

The same problem is exists for apache too. I can't to compile php
package for various apache versions but with different package names.

I want to have possibility to create myself package repository with both
php and apache versions.

--
Alexey Rubtsov
E-mail: arubtsov at parallels.com