FreeNX Package

User Ota ota at animenfo.com
Fri Nov 23 18:42:16 PST 2007

On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 09:27:56PM -0500, dewey hylton wrote:
> Quoting Wesley Shields <wxs at atarininja.org>:
>
> > On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 06:52:37PM -0500, User Ota wrote:
> > > I was browsing around looking for alternatives to vnc, and tried to
> > > experiment with FreeNX.  I got this working with Debian, but I notice
> > > that the port is marked as broken, reason being it fails to build wit
> > > X.org 7.2.
> > >
> > > I have package X.Org 7.3 installed.
> > >
> > > This will probably sound a little idiotic, but does the port fail to
> > > build against any version of X.org 7.2 and higher, or is it just marked
> > > broken for general purposes (regardless of the fact it says it doesn't
> > > build properly with v7.2)?
> >
> > Assuming your talking about net/nxserver it would be better to ask the
> > maintainer.  I've CC'ed him on this, but it won't hurt to remove the
> > BROKEN line and try it for yourself?
>
> good plan. and if it builds, _test it_ ... i've been able to get past enough
> errors that it builds, but it still doesn't operate correctly. if you get it to
> build and the pieces all work properly, let us know.

It went through a bunch of warnings and nonetheless built, until:

===>  Installing for nxserver-1.4.0_1
===>   nxserver-1.4.0_1 depends on executable: nc - found
===>   nxserver-1.4.0_1 depends on file:
/usr/local/libdata/xorg/libraries - found
===>   Generating temporary packing list
===>  Checking if net/nxserver already installed
/bin/mkdir -p /usr/local/NX/lib /usr/local/NX/bin
install  -o root -g wheel -m 444
/usr/ports/net/nxserver/work/nx-X11/lib/X11/libX11.so* /usr/local/NX/lib
install  -o root -g wheel -m 444
/usr/ports/net/nxserver/work/nx-X11/lib/Xext/libXext.so*
/usr/local/NX/lib
install  -o root -g wheel -m 444
/usr/ports/net/nxserver/work/nx-X11/lib/Xrender/libXrender.so*
/usr/local/NX/lib
install  -o root -g wheel -m 444
/usr/ports/net/nxserver/work/nxcomp/libXcomp.so* /usr/local/NX/lib
install  -o root -g wheel -m 444
/usr/ports/net/nxserver/work/nxcompext/libXcompext.so* /usr/local/NX/lib
install  -s -o root -g wheel -m 555
/usr/ports/net/nxserver/work/nx-X11/programs/Xserver/nxagent
/usr/local/NX/bin
install: /usr/ports/net/nxserver/work/nx-X11/programs/Xserver/nxagent:
No such file or directory
*** Error code 71

Stop in /usr/ports/net/nxserver.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/net/nxserver.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/net/freenx.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/net/freenx.
** Command failed [exit code 1]: /usr/bin/script -qa
/tmp/portinstall.35776.0 env make reinstall
** Fix the installation problem and try again.
** Listing the failed packages (*:skipped / !:failed)
        ! net/freenx    (install error)
--->  Packages processed: 0 done, 0 ignored, 0 skipped and 1 failed

So, unfortunately, it's a no go.  It seems it can't find one particular
file, and I have a feeling this is related to all those warning messages
beforehand, about imake and the Objective C flags.

Russell Doucette