php4 port - undefined ref to getopt_long

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Mar 14 19:37:49 UTC 2007

On Mar 14, 2007, at 11:56 AM, timmartin wrote:
> this is all on freebsd 4.11

Please be aware that FreeBSD 4.11 is no longer supported-- the ports
framework has been updated in a fashion which is no longer backwards
compatible with that version of the OS, so you're going to be rolling
your own software from here on out if you want to stay with that
version.

> 1) a while back i stopped being able to make my own ports index
> because of a
> bunch of gstreamer-plugins that wouldn't let me "make index" so i
> started
> having to "make fetchindex" instead.

Sometimes this happens when people don't download the entire,
complete port tree.

Other times, the dependency tree for the Index really is
broken...normally, the committers will fix it shortly so re-updating
your ports tree a day later will let you rebuild the index locally.

It's a moot point now, however.

> 2) when i look at "portversion" outputs it seems as though it
> doesn't really
> know what versions are in the ports tree -- many ports have been
> updated and
> it doesn't seem to think so. When i ran portupgrade on said ports
> it worked
> just fine -- just portversion didn't know what was going on.

Try running "pkgdb -Fu".

> 3) today i stopped being able to build php4 -- i get the following
> error
> that stops the upgrade:
>
> ext/standard/basic_functions.lo(.text+0x1507): undefined reference to
> `getopt_long'
>
> Anybody have an idea on how i can fix the situation? The only one that
> really sucks is the last problem -- the other two i can live with
> although
> it'd be nice to fix them too.

getopt_long is part of the standard C library under 5.x and later,
but is not present in 4.x.

If you can't update to a more recent version of FreeBSD, try
installing the /usr/ports/devel/libgnugetopt port and convince PHP to
build against it.

--
-Chuck