[net/samba3] Upgrade to Samba 3.0.25a

Uwe Laverenz uwe at laverenz.de
Wed Jun 6 19:15:42 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 10:14:56AM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:

> Well boo hoo! If you're smart enough to be useful in testing new
> versions, you're smart enough to modify the port yourself, or build
> the software without the port.

Yes, I guess that's true.

> Sorry to be so flippant, but this whole line of reasoning is absurd. A

No problem, but I didn't mean it as hard as you might have read it,
maybe my English is not clear enough sometimes: I wanted to express that
I like the fact that FreeBSD ports are so close to the upstream
versions. Other systems tend to deliver heavily patched and outdated
versions. I certainly don't think that every untested bleeding edge
software should go into ports, but normally an official samba-release
fixes more problems than introducing new ones.

> port maintainer has to take the best interests of the majority of the
> userbase into account, not cater to edge cases, especially when the
> edge cases ought to be able to get their own hands dirty.

Yes, of course.

> I also think it's useful to keep in mind that we are giving you the
> bits for free, and there is nothing stopping you from doing whatever
> you want to do with them.

I know. I'm sorry if you got the impression I wouldn't appreciate your
work. I guess my English is just too clumsy to be precise enough
sometimes.

Uwe