[net/samba3] Upgrade to Samba 3.0.25a

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 6 17:14:58 UTC 2007

Uwe Laverenz wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 03:54:25PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
>
>> I think it's very reasonable, and well in keeping with FreeBSD
>> tradition, to delay upgrading to a new release of ported software
>> until the maintainer is convinced that it's safe to do so. I have
>
> Yes, but on the other hand it is the server admin's job to test new
> software and to decide if and when he starts to deploy it on his
> production machines.

Yes of course that's true, but it's not related to the matter at hand.

> And what about those users/admins who want to test
> new samba versions to actively help the samba team with improving the
> software? They would have to modify the port on their own to get the
> newest version.

Well boo hoo! If you're smart enough to be useful in testing new
versions, you're smart enough to modify the port yourself, or build
the software without the port.

Sorry to be so flippant, but this whole line of reasoning is absurd. A
port maintainer has to take the best interests of the majority of the
userbase into account, not cater to edge cases, especially when the
edge cases ought to be able to get their own hands dirty.

I also think it's useful to keep in mind that we are giving you the
bits for free, and there is nothing stopping you from doing whatever
you want to do with them.

Doug