HEADS UP: portupgrade moved (ports-mgmt)

dewey hylton freebsd-ports at hyltown.com
Tue Feb 6 12:19:05 UTC 2007

> Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 18:33:16 +0000
> From: Colin Waring <freebsd at southportcomputers.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: HEADS UP: portupgrade moved (ports-mgmt)
>
> I spotted this, but unfortunately because it has cause some problems.
> I'm getting a couple of errors now, all the ports tools kick out:
>
> cd: can't cd to /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade
>
> I've tried uninstalling portupgrade and reinstalling it. If I uninstall,
> all I get is:
>
> pkg_delete: file '(null)/libdata/ldconfig/portupgrade' doesn't exist
> pkg_delete: couldn't entirely delete package (perhaps the packing list
> is incorrectly specified?)
>
> It disappears from the list of installed programs but the error stays
> and installing it clean from the new location makes no improvements. I
> also have portdowngrade and portaudit installed which will have been
> affected by the move. I think they are currently working fine.
>
> It is possible that the problem has been caused by portupgrade not just
> being moved, but a new version coming out too so somewhere along the
> lines it just can't cope with both.
>
> The only question is how to get it sorted?
> pkgdb -fF doesn't do anything other than output the "can't cd" error.
> Removing and recreating pkgdb.db does bugger all.
>
> portupgrade appears to still do its job, but I don't want to find out
> its actually breaking things because of the error so I'm not using it..
>
> Any suggestions?
> Cheers,
> Colin.

i followed /usr/ports/UPDATING and didn't have any problem. specifically:

20070102:
  AFFECTS: users of sysutils/portupgrade
  AUTHOR: sem at FreeBSD.org

  If you have a problem with upgrading the tools from version 2.2.1 and less,
  remove the package with pkg_delete portupgrade\* command and reinstall it
  from scratch. Remove /usr/ports/INDEX*.db and run portsdb -u.