FreeBSD Port: k3b-1.0.3

Anders Lind swedebear at starpoint.net
Fri Aug 24 10:50:20 PDT 2007

Hello there,

this concerns the pkg-message-file with this port and specificly
3c-part of it...

Today it says;

3c. Every user who should be able to use k3b must have read and write
access to all pass through devices connected with CD and DVD drives and
to the /dev/xpt0 device. Run 'camcontrol devlist' to identify those
devices (seek string 'passX' at the end of each line and modify the
rights of /dev/passX). Note, that this is a security leak as well but
that there is no alternative! To make this changes permanent, add
'devd_enable="YES"' to /etc/rc.conf as described above. Furthermore add
a 'perm passX 666' for each pass device and a 'perm xpt0 666'. If you
prefer to bind the access rights to a group, use the own command as
described above. If you prefer to set this rights dynamically, add a
line 'add path 'pass*' ...' to your /etc/devfs.rules as described above.

And after meddling around with it and asking in the freebsd-channel in
Freenode-IRC I found the solution to the problem that when I rebooted
my computer I could not use k3b as user again. This was because I
misunderstood this part and added the perm passX 666 to /etc/rc.conf
instead of /etc/devfs.conf. This should be made clearer that it is
supposed to be added to /etc/devfs.conf. I am not sure on how to write
in specificly, it might be as easy as Furthermore in /etc/devfs.conf
add a 'perm pass X 666' and so on.

Thanks for great work

Cheers
Anders