How did upgrading applications happen before portupgrade etc?

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Mon Aug 13 04:38:42 PDT 2007

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 08:14:46 +0200
Alexander Leidinger <Alexander at Leidinger.net> wrote:

> Quoting RW <fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com> (from Sun, 12 Aug 2007
> 18:18:10 +0100):
>
> > On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 14:20:59 +0200
> > Alexander Leidinger <Alexander at Leidinger.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Quoting RW <fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com> (Sat, 11 Aug 2007 22:58:58
> >> +0100):

> > Actually having dependencies package version mismatches needn't
> > cause any significant problems.
>
> It does cause problems. You have no +REQUIRED_BY file anymore, so
> pkg_delete allows you to remove it without a warning even if it is
> still needed.

I didn't say it doesn't, I said it needn't. When I have to remove a
package manually as part of an upgrade, I use "pkg_delete -f", so it
doesn't matter. When I prune ports I use "portmanager -slid" which
doesn't rely on +REQUIRED_BY, and provides additional protection against
build-dependency deletion which you don't get from pkg_delete.