How did upgrading applications happen before portupgrade etc?

Mon Aug 13 23:58:26 PDT 2007

Quoting RW <fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com> (from Mon, 13 Aug 2007
12:38:37 +0100):

> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 08:14:46 +0200
> Alexander Leidinger <Alexander at Leidinger.net> wrote:
>
>> Quoting RW <fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com> (from Sun, 12 Aug 2007
>> 18:18:10 +0100):

>> > Actually having dependencies package version mismatches needn't
>> > cause any significant problems.
>>
>> It does cause problems. You have no +REQUIRED_BY file anymore, so
>> pkg_delete allows you to remove it without a warning even if it is
>> still needed.
>
> I didn't say it doesn't, I said it needn't. When I have to remove a

It will. No doubts about this, sorry. It may be ok for some hobbyist
installation, but in the generic case you want to do it right (and the
OP asked for the generic case which includes production quality ports
management).

> package manually as part of an upgrade, I use "pkg_delete -f", so it
> doesn't matter. When I prune ports I use "portmanager -slid" which

It's not about removing a port when updating. It's about correct leaf
ports detection which may be necessary from time to time. On a busy
(as in "ports are (de-)installed often") system this may be needed
more often than on a idle system.

> doesn't rely on +REQUIRED_BY, and provides additional protection against
> build-dependency deletion which you don't get from pkg_delete.

portmanager ist very recent, it is even not as old as portupgrade. So
a discussion about what you do with current tools does not fit to the
topic of the original question which started this thread.

Sidenote: I also don't see a benefit when pruning to keep the obscure
build dependencies of a port you don't want anymore. "In the good old
days"(TM) you searched for ports without a +REQUYIRED_BY field. Those
are the leaf ports. And then you used your brain to decide what to
remove or not. What we didn't had was an easy procedure for pruning
old distfiles. I was excited when I discovered this feature in
portupgrade.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Marriage is a lot like the army, everyone complains, but you'd be
surprised at the large number that re-enlist.