Mixed archives woes

Simon Barner barner at FreeBSD.org
Sun Apr 1 11:18:48 UTC 2007

Pontus Stenetorp wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have been working on a port for pyFastaudio bindings, well I have got
> a lot of help from Carl Johan Gustavsson. But now I have run into some
> severe problems. In order to build properly pyFastaudio requires the
> source for Fastaudio. This has all been sorted out, but there is a
> packaging problem. Fastaudio is distributed using zip and pyFastaudio as
> tar. The solution at the moment has been to re-pack Fastaudio to tar and
> then distribute it from another ftp. This feels rather ugly, but is it
> in your opinion a "good" solution? Or is there a know better solution?

Re-packing the zip archive is not a good idea since you'll have to do it
for every new release, you will not notice when the archive receives an
silent update (without version bump) and you do not take advantage of
the upstream's mirrors.

So I'd suggest that you either define the do-extract: target and do
all the uncompressing manually or to have the .tar.gz archive extracted
by the standard mechanisms and only extract the .zip archive in a
custom post-extract: target.

Feel free to post your updated Makefile for review,

HTH,

--
Best regards / Viele Grüße,                             barner at FreeBSD.org
 Simon Barner                                                barner at gmx.de