Samba and FAM

Thomas T. Veldhouse veldy at veldy.net
Wed Sep 13 07:53:22 PDT 2006

I have been using Samba 3.x for my Windows file share and printing.  I
chose not to use FAM as the implementation on FreeBSD seems non-existant
(where is the daemon?).  So, when I configured Samba, I unchecked the
option for FAM.  Yet, when it runs, I still see that it is required.

Sep 13 03:12:30 fuggle smbd[2898]:   FAM file change notifications not
available
Sep 13 03:12:30 fuggle smbd[2897]:   FAM file change notifications not
available
Sep 13 03:12:30 fuggle smbd[2897]: [2006/09/13 03:12:30, 0]
lib/util_sock.c:read_data(534)

I considered uninstalling FAM and rebuilding Samba, but, as it turns
out, Courier-IMAP requires FAM as a dependency even though it is not a
declared dependency in the Makefile.

Even though FAM was not selected when building Samba, I am getting the
above errors.  Is there a way to avoid these filling my log files?

Tom Veldhouse