Samba and FAM

Scot Hetzel swhetzel at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 08:33:56 PDT 2006

On 9/13/06, Thomas T. Veldhouse <veldy at veldy.net> wrote:
> I considered uninstalling FAM and rebuilding Samba, but, as it turns
> out, Courier-IMAP requires FAM as a dependency even though it is not a
> declared dependency in the Makefile.
>
> Even though FAM was not selected when building Samba, I am getting the
> above errors.  Is there a way to avoid these filling my log files?

Uninstall Courier-IMAP,  and FAM.  Then rebuild Samba.  Finally
reinstall Courier-IMAP.

The problem is that the net/samba3/Makefile automatically detects
fam/gam on the system, and sets WITH_FAM_SUPPORT, even if FAM_SUPPORT
is off in OPTIONS.

.if exists(${LOCALBASE}/libexec/gam_server)
WANT_FAM_SYSTEM=	gamin
WITH_FAM_SUPPORT=	on
.	undef		WITHOUT_FAM_SUPPORT
.elif exists(${LOCALBASE}/bin/fam)
WANT_FAM_SYSTEM=	fam
WITH_FAM_SUPPORT=	on
.	undef		WITHOUT_FAM_SUPPORT
.endif

.if defined(WITH_FAM_SUPPORT) || defined(WANT_FAM_SYSTEM)
USE_FAM=		yes
.endif

It should only detect which FAM_SYSTEM is installed, and should only
test if WITH_FAM_SUPPORT is set.

Also, if the samba configure script has an option to disable fam
support, it should be added as:

.if defined(WITH_FAM_SUPPORT)
USE_FAM=   yes
.else
CONFIGURE_ARGS+= --disable-fam
.endif

This would then prevent the configure script from detecting and using
fam/gam on a system that has it installed.

NOTE: The detection of the FAM_SYSTEM, may not be needed.

Scot
--
DISCLAIMER:
No electrons were mamed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.