HEADS UP: GNOME 2.16.1 has been committed

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Sat Oct 14 22:29:29 PDT 2006

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 23:54:08 -0500, Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> John Hay wrote:
>> It looks like ports/UPDATING is mixing sysutils/portmanager and
>> portmaster in the 20061014 part that tells how to update gnome. Is
>> that on purpose?
>
> The entry says this:
>
> 20061014:
>    AFFECTS: All GNOME users
>    AUTHOR: gnome at FreeBSD.org
>
>    GNOME has been updated to 2.16 and all GNOME components have been
>    moved from X11BASE to LOCALBASE, to upgrade your GNOME desktop and
>    applications you will need either sysutils/portupgrade or
>    sysutils/portmaster.
>
>   Portupgrade users:
>    pkgdb -Ff
>    portupgrade -rf glib-2\* cairo gnome-doc-utils gnome-mime-data \
>          gnome-audio startup-notification dbus
>
>   Portmaster users:
>    portmaster -r pkg-config\*
>

> The introductory paragraph says "either/or," so it seems pretty clear to
> me that if you use portupgrade, do X; if you use portmaster, do Y. I'm
> sure however that if you have suggestions for improving that paragraph,
> the gnome folks would like to hear them. :)
>
> For those that choose to use portmaster to do the upgrade, first of all,
> thanks. :) Second, please make sure that you use the latest version
> (1.9), and do NOT attempt this with earlier versions. If you do, it will
> fail in a spectacular and painful fashion. I worked closely with mezz to
> make sure that portmaster would Do The Right Thing for this upgrade, and
> found and fixed several problems with the way -r was handled previously
> in the process.

I have added an important sentence in UPDATING about that need to have
least 1.9 version of portmaster to have the upgrade success. Thanks for
remind! :-)

portmaster rocks!

Cheers,
Mezz

> One last thing, you will probably be happier if you add either -d (to
> delete all stale distfiles) or -D (to not delete any distfiles) to the
> beginning of your command line for portmaster. That way once you get
> past the 'make config' stage and actually start building stuff, you
> _probably_ won't have to answer any more questions. Also, given that if
> this update fails part way through, a backup package of the old port
> probably won't help you, you could save yourself some time by using the
> -G option as well.
>
> In the unlikely *cough* event that portmaster chokes a bunny while doing
> this upgrade for you, please feel free to send a message to the list,
> and cc: me. I do pay attention to those messages, but given my real
> world commitments at this time, you might very well get the right answer
> faster from someone on the -ports@ list before I could provide it.
>

> hth,
>
> Doug

FreeBSD GNOME Team  -  FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)
http://wiki.freebsd.org/multimedia  -  multimedia at FreeBSD.org