HEADS UP: GNOME 2.16.1 has been committed

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Sat Oct 14 21:54:12 PDT 2006

John Hay wrote:
> It looks like ports/UPDATING is mixing sysutils/portmanager and
> portmaster in the 20061014 part that tells how to update gnome. Is
> that on purpose?

The entry says this:

20061014:
   AFFECTS: All GNOME users
   AUTHOR: gnome at FreeBSD.org

   GNOME has been updated to 2.16 and all GNOME components have been
   moved from X11BASE to LOCALBASE, to upgrade your GNOME desktop and
   applications you will need either sysutils/portupgrade or
   sysutils/portmaster.

  Portupgrade users:
   pkgdb -Ff
   portupgrade -rf glib-2\* cairo gnome-doc-utils gnome-mime-data \
         gnome-audio startup-notification dbus

  Portmaster users:
   portmaster -r pkg-config\*

The introductory paragraph says "either/or," so it seems pretty clear
to me that if you use portupgrade, do X; if you use portmaster, do Y.
I'm sure however that if you have suggestions for improving that
paragraph, the gnome folks would like to hear them. :)

For those that choose to use portmaster to do the upgrade, first of
all, thanks. :) Second, please make sure that you use the latest
version (1.9), and do NOT attempt this with earlier versions. If you
do, it will fail in a spectacular and painful fashion. I worked
closely with mezz to make sure that portmaster would Do The Right
Thing for this upgrade, and found and fixed several problems with the
way -r was handled previously in the process.

One last thing, you will probably be happier if you add either -d (to
delete all stale distfiles) or -D (to not delete any distfiles) to the
beginning of your command line for portmaster. That way once you get
past the 'make config' stage and actually start building stuff, you
_probably_ won't have to answer any more questions. Also, given that
if this update fails part way through, a backup package of the old
port probably won't help you, you could save yourself some time by
using the -G option as well.

In the unlikely *cough* event that portmaster chokes a bunny while
doing this upgrade for you, please feel free to send a message to the
list, and cc: me. I do pay attention to those messages, but given my
real world commitments at this time, you might very well get the right
answer faster from someone on the -ports@ list before I could provide it.

hth,

Doug