Qemu crash...

Scot Hetzel swhetzel at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 23:49:02 PST 2006

On 11/23/06, Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 01:23:01PM -0800, Bakul Shah wrote:
> > > The problem is that kldloading a module if it's already in the kernel
> > > can cause a panic.  Also if the module becomes stale with respect to
> > > the running kernel, this approach can cause a lot of confusion.
> >
> > I thought the following would do the trick:
> >
> >     kldstat -m aio >/devnull 2>&1 || kldload aio
> >
> > > Something I'd like to see is
> > >
> > > a) Fixing the kldload "double load" problems
> >
> > See above.  Works in -current at least.
>
> It "should" work, but people sometimes report that it doesn't
> (i.e. when they get the resulting panic).  It at least needs to be
> investigated.

I ran across this problem when trying to write a port for my wireless
adapter, to determine if the kernel module was loaded, so that it
could be unloaded before the module was removed from the system:

hp010# kldload ./bcmwl564_sys.ko
hp010# kldstat | grep bcm
11    1 0xffffffffa2d8b000 84f20    bcmwl564_sys.ko
hp010# kldstat -m bcmwl564_sys
kldstat: can't find module bcmwl564_sys: No such file or directory
hp010# kldstat -m pci/bcmwl564_sys
Id  Refs Name
378    1 pci/bcmwl564_sys

I found that value by using kldstat -v, and picking one of of the
named modules listed under bcmwl564_sys.ko.

This could be why people are seeing the folowing fail:

  kldstat -qm <module> || kldload <module>

Scot
--
DISCLAIMER:
No electrons were mamed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.