Qemu crash...

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Thu Nov 23 14:26:52 PST 2006

On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 02:19:51PM -0800, Bakul Shah wrote:
> > It "should" work, but people sometimes report that it doesn't
> > (i.e. when they get the resulting panic).  It at least needs to be
> > investigated.
>
> What I suggested works for qemu since kldstat -m works for
> aio and kqemu.  May be people tried kldload without checking
> if the module existed?  kldload should do the equiv. of
> kldstat -m.

The conditions of the panic are that a user has a module already
compiled in statically to their kernel, and mistakenly tries to
kldload a second copy of it.  Beyond this I do not remember details
other than that it is still being reported from time to time.

> > There's still the "stale module" problem.
>
> You mean an old module that you want to replace?

No, a module compiled for a different kernel version (e.g. the user
ran cvsup and rebuilt modules but has not yet built or booted the new
kernel).  Modules are notoriously fragile things, even in -stable.

> > No, it only works for things that are modules:
> >
> > > grep -i compat /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/XOR
> > options         COMPAT_43               # Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
> > options         COMPAT_FREEBSD4         # Compatible with FreeBSD4
> > options         COMPAT_LINUX
>
> Ah, I see what you mean...  The quick way is to default to
> options INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE but the DEFAULTS file has muddied
> the situation as its contents are not shown.  May be it is
> better for config(8) to generate necessary sysctl glue for
> options, makeoptions etc.  Even better if sysctl kern.config
> can used to recreate the config file of a running system....

That's more or less what I was suggesting.  There should be a one stop
shop for user programs to figure out the full set of running kernel
features.

Kris