FreeBSD Port: php5-5.1.4

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Thu May 18 08:26:00 UTC 2006

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 10:02:37AM +0200, Helmut Schneider wrote:
> First of all I would like to thank you for your quick answer. I still do
> not know which mailinglist exactly you refer to and I apologize that I do
> not know what the hell a "pr database" is at all. Looking at
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/lang/php5/ (which I thought is
> the *official* place-to-go) the port was *released* 10 days ago and I did
> not bargain for that a broken port may resist there for that time without a
> single comment that it is broken.

The bottom line is this: the port is broken because the PHP authors
are a bunch of jhonkas.  So yes, you were right to mention here that
the port appears broken.

What you didn't check/know was that others (MANY others) had already
chimed in with the same thing to freebsd-ports.  Sometimes it does
help to check the mailing list archives.  I'm not flaming you,
honestly -- it's just something to keep in mind for the future.  :-)

> Forgive my ignorance but maybe it is worth commenting such problems
> directly at a central location (see link above) instead of expecting people
> to search a hole bunch of mailling lists. Maybe some noobs like me could be
> helpful for the community at that point

As mentioned, there's an open PR (Problem Report) on the php5 port:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/97338

Once committed to the ports tree, it should solve the problem.

You can query the PR database using this web form:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr-summary.cgi?query

In the meantime/interim, I think someone (that means port committers
at the top of the "managerial chain") should mark the port as BROKEN
until ale@ gets to it (when/as he sees fit).  Normally I wouldn't
recommend this, but the number of people relying on the php5 port
is gargantuan, and safe to say we'll continue to see mails about it
here until 97338 is committed.

| Making life hard for others since 1977.               PGP: 4BD6C0CB |