Broken dependency on expat.

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Wed Mar 29 17:00:09 UTC 2006

On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 11:58:29AM +0200, [LoN]Kamikaze wrote:
> Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 04:38:29AM +0000, Amarendra Godbole wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I tried to build apache22 from the ports (/usr/ports/www/apache22/).
> >> Now, the initial build failed, because of a broken dependency on
> >> libexpat - as apache22 needed a newer version than the one I had
> >> (1.95.*).
> >>
> >> So, I forcibly deinstalled, and reinstalled expat2 from
> >> /usr/ports/textproc/expat2/, and apache22 built and installed fine.
> >>
> >> So far so good...
> >>
> >> ...but upgrading libexpat removed the original libexpat.so.5 link, and
> >> put a libexpat.so.6...which caused all my X based programs, including
> >> the window manager to break! X just refused to start, and so did many
> >> other programs.
> >>
> >> Now, I just put back the softlink libexpat.so.5, and poof...things
> >> were up and running again...
> >>
> >> So my question is: is there a better way to handle such a scenario? Or
> >> in case of libraries, can't the original links be preserved, and new
> >> links added (I guess this cannot be done).
> >
> > Use portupgrade.
> >
> > Kris
>
> Portupgrade will keep the old libs around. Since I have a small HD I
> prefer to get rid of old libs and add an entry to "/etc/libmap.conf".
> Using links to handle this doesn't look like a good solution to me,
> because they might be forgotten and left on the system long beyond their
> usefulness.

Just as long as you remember never to send bug reports when you have
hacked your libraries in this way :-)

Library bumps are usually for a reason, e.g. they are no longer
compatible, so you may cause application crashes or misbehaviour by
running it with a library other than the one it was compiled with.

Kris