portinstall question

Ashok Shrestha ashok.shrestha at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 07:28:22 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I'm installing kde on freebsd 6.0.

portinstall -rRP x11/kde3

It's been compiling for the past 2 days. (AMD XP 1900)

1)
The problem is that once in a while it'll come across a port that
requires user input. So I always OK the default configurations at the
blue screen. Is there a way to get portinstall to accept the default
configurations without user intervention? I tried '--yes' option but
that didn't work.

2)
I expected the '-P' option to download the majority of the
dependencies as binary packages. But that doesn't seem to be the case;
it seems like everything is being compiled. Unless I unintentionally
specified '-p' (lowercase), shouldn't there be more binary downloads
and faster installs?

3)
Is there a way to check or determine the progress of the install? For
instance, a way to determine all the dependencies (and file sizes) and
see how many have installed so far? I know you can do 'portinstall -n
kde3'; but I'm afraid to do it while the current portinstall is
running.

--
Ashok Shrestha