lang/gcc41 - linking issues

[LoN]Kamikaze LoN_Kamikaze at gmx.de
Sun Mar 26 11:15:05 UTC 2006

Dirk Meyer wrote:
> [LoN]Kamikaze schrieb:,
>
>> # echo "/usr/local/lib/gcc/i386-portbld-freebsd6.1/4.1.1/" >
>> /usr/local/libdata/ldconfig/gcc41
>> solves the problem easily.
>
> Where is this documented?
>
> kind regards Dirk

Since this issue is rather troubling in my opinion I wanted to get a
hold of how library finding works in FreeBSD. I started with reading
"/etc/rc.d/ldconfig". The command

# /etc/rc.d/ldconfig start

brought the following output:
ELF ldconfig path: /lib /usr/lib /usr/lib/compat /usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg /usr/local/libdata/ldconfig/mysql
a.out ldconfig path: /usr/lib/aout /usr/lib/compat/aout /usr/X11R6/lib/aout

Since mysql certainly isn't part of the base system I had a look what's
there. "/usr/local/libdata/ldconfig/mysql" is a file that simply
contains the string "/usr/local/lib/mysql".

I didn't find it documented anywhere, though. Also it seems that all
"lang/gccXX" ports have recently received the proper "INSTALLS_SHLIB"
and "LDCONFIG_DIRS", as described in the porters handbook. Thus my
solution is obsolete.