x11/nvidia-driver and opengl

VANHULLEBUS Yvan vanhu_bsd at zeninc.net
Wed Jun 14 15:44:51 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 10:43:24PM +0200, Jona Joachim wrote:
> Hi!

Hi.

> I have quite an annoying problem with x11/nvidia-driver-1.0.8762 in
> combination with OpenGL.
> In fact, as soon as an application uses OpenGL, it works fine, is
> accelerated just like before but as soon as I close the application the
> computer freezes and reboots spontaneously some seconds later. I tried
> rebuilding Xorg and the driver several times (the driver after Xorg
> because the driver overwrites some libraries installed by Xorg) but it
> didn't help. I didn't have this problem with previous versions of the
> nvidia driver. You must know that while I was upgrading I had a power
> failure and the pkg database got corrupt. However pkgdb is fine again
> and the driver builds fine.
> Does anybody have a clue?

Perhaps my recent "problems" may help you:

I also FreeBSD6.1 + nvidia-1.0.8762, on two hosts.

On the first one, with a Geforce6x00, without any problems.

On the second, on a Geforce2MX, on which I had 3 reboots yesterday
while logged in (and while xscreensaver was running), where I had no
problems before (when I was still using nv driver), and which doesn't
hang when I access it remotely.

I noticed things quite similar: a 3D / GL application runs nice, then
the system hangs. I can't tell you if the problem occurs when the 3D
application stops, and in fact, I first suspected an overheat of the
NVidia card.

I'll try to start a 3D app then stop ip, to see if it makes it crash.

Yvan.

--
NETASQ
http://www.netasq.com