Remove a Port and All Dependencies

Aaron Dalton aaron at freebsd.org
Fri Feb 24 18:35:00 PST 2006

Peter wrote:
> --- Aaron Dalton <aaron at freebsd.org> wrote:
>

>>Jeff Cross wrote:

>>>I would like to know if it is possible to remove a port/package and
>>
>>all
>>
>>>of the dependencies it installed that are not needed by other
>>
>>applications.
>>
>>>Example: I installed Nautilus and some Gnome games but don't want them
>>>installed any longer.  However, if I remove the package itself,
>>
>>doesn't
>>
>>>it leave all of the other dependencies out there?
>>>
>>>Upgrading my system takes forever now that there are a ton of libs and
>>>such installed by these applications.  So, if anyone can point me in
>>
>>the
>>
>>>right direction for doing this I would greatly appreciate it.
>>>

>>pkg_deinstall -R portname
>

> Wouldn't this remove all ports that depend on the port in question (its
> dependants)?  The OP wants to remove all ports that are *required* by the
> port (its dependencies).  But furthermore, he wants to remove those that
> AREN'T NEEDED BY ANY OTHER PORTS.

pkg_deinstall won't remove ports that are required by other ports.
pkg_deinstalling a Perl (p5-) port, for example, won't forcefully
deinstall lang/perl itself (unless you're removing the very last port
that requires lang/perl).  'man pkg_deinstall' will tell you how to
accomplish what you want.  There are a number of other port mgmt
utilities as well.  (sysutils/portmaster comes to mind.)

Good luck!
--
Aaron Dalton
aaron at FreeBSD.org