Remove a Port and All Dependencies

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Sun Feb 26 10:52:41 PST 2006

On Saturday 25 February 2006 02:35, Aaron Dalton wrote:
> Peter wrote:
> > Wouldn't this remove all ports that depend on the port in question (its
> > dependants)?  The OP wants to remove all ports that are *required* by the
> > port (its dependencies).  But furthermore, he wants to remove those that
> > AREN'T NEEDED BY ANY OTHER PORTS.
>
> pkg_deinstall won't remove ports that are required by other ports.
> pkg_deinstalling a Perl (p5-) port, for example, won't forcefully
> deinstall lang/perl itself (unless you're removing the very last port
> that requires lang/perl).

You have to be a little careful there. As I understand it that protection
relies on a self-consistent package database. You don't notice this if you
use portupgrade because it needs the same self consistency to function and
massages the dependencies (or refuses to do anything until you fix them
manually)

Whilst portmanager can leave behind these dependency mismatches (when you
don't fully update your ports), it's own leaf-deletion option doesn't seem to
be thrown by them.