-fPIC for a port that is just a library on amd64?

Larry Rosenman ler at lerctr.org
Wed Apr 19 17:35:43 UTC 2006

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 09:52:38AM -0500, Larry Rosenman wrote:
>> What's the best way to get a port to add -fPIC to the compile for a
>> port that generates just an archive library (textproc/libxdiff)?
>>
>> I was able to force the issue with CFLAGS=-fPIC make;CFLAGS=-fpic
>> make install, but it would be nice if the port could do it
>> automagically.
>
> It would be nice if the software was already correct so it happened
> automatically :-)
>
>> The issue is that the pecl-xdiff extension uses this library and
>> wants to be a shared object.
>
> If it's only compiling a shared library object (not static object or
> other binaries), then adding CFLAGS+= -fPIC to the port makefile is
> acceptable.  Better, add it to the software makefile and contribute
> your patch back upstream.
>
> Kris

It's just compiling a static object (a libxdiff.a).

I just submitted a patch to the port that if ${MACHINE} == amd64
I do the CFLAGS+= -fPIC
but I'm not sure that's acceptable to you folks on portmgr.

I have a port (pecl-xdiff) that needs to have the .a have the -fPIC :(

LER

Phone: +1 512-248-2683                 E-Mail: ler at lerctr.org
US Mail: 430 Valona Loop, Round Rock, TX 78681-3893