-fPIC for a port that is just a library on amd64?

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Wed Apr 19 17:32:57 UTC 2006

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 09:52:38AM -0500, Larry Rosenman wrote:
> What's the best way to get a port to add -fPIC to the compile for a port
> that
> generates just an archive library (textproc/libxdiff)?
>
> I was able to force the issue with CFLAGS=-fPIC make;CFLAGS=-fpic make
> install,
> but it would be nice if the port could do it automagically.

It would be nice if the software was already correct so it happened
automatically :-)

> The issue is that the pecl-xdiff extension uses this library and wants to be
> a shared object.

If it's only compiling a shared library object (not static object or
other binaries), then adding CFLAGS+= -fPIC to the port makefile is
acceptable.  Better, add it to the software makefile and contribute
your patch back upstream.

Kris