BEWARE upgrading Horde System

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Fri Apr 7 16:38:36 UTC 2006

On Fri, 7 Apr 2006, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 03:24 -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> Figuring that, like alot of ports, it would check for a previous existence
>> of configuration files, I just upgraded my horde system ... and now I have
>> to go through and reconfigure all the servers :(  It didn't even back up
>> the original files that were there, it just overwrote them *scratch head*
>>
>> So, if you are going to upgrade ... make sure you back up everything
>> before hand :(
>
> The Horde config is backed up to conf.php.previous on every upgrade.
> Simply copying this file back to conf.php, checking permissions, then
> regenerating the config through the web is enough to get you right back
> where you left off (provided you have done any other required upgrade
> steps).

Right, now go upgrade your IMP, or Turba, or Kronolith?  And what about
changes to registry.php?

All that should happen on an upgrade is the .dist files get upgraded, not
blindly overwrite any of the .php files that an admin may or may not have
modified ... that is why the base distribution has .dist files ...

On an initial install, although it does add more work, putting the
original .php files in place is cool ... but, for instance, my motd.php
files for IMP is now gone, which had a bunch of programming in it to
redirect ppl coming in to various places ... now it has a 'Powered by
Horde' icon :(

  ----