Java (jdk1.5) woes with firefox (1.0.6) and opera (8.5)

Greg Lewis glewis at eyesbeyond.com
Thu Sep 29 10:17:27 PDT 2005

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 12:03:49PM -0700, Mike Hunter wrote:
> For opera, I get:

> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/jdk1.5.0/jre/lib/i386/client/libjvm.so: Undefined symbol "__cxa_atexit"
>
> Interestingly for opera, the about box says "no java runtime installed", but
> the java preference has a validated path to the JRE....

Actually, I think the problem for Opera (just guessing) is that you're not
using FreeBSD 4.x.  Since Opera is a FreeBSD 4.x binary, I would think that
if the JDK is compiled on 5.x or 6.x then loading its shared library into
Opera would cause some compatibility problems.

Out of interest, what is the Java path you are telling Opera to use?  I
tried this quickly last night on my 4.11 box.  Opera appeared to recognise
the Java path (although I thought it was a little odd myself).  When I
browsed to an applet it appeared to think about doing something for around
30 seconds but didn't end up showing the applet (no error messages though).

Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis at eyesbeyond.com