Java (jdk1.5) woes with firefox (1.0.6) and opera (8.5)

Mike Hunter mhunter at ack.berkeley.edu
Fri Sep 30 10:10:51 PDT 2005

On Sep 29, "Greg Lewis" wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 12:03:49PM -0700, Mike Hunter wrote:
> > For opera, I get:

> > /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/jdk1.5.0/jre/lib/i386/client/libjvm.so: Undefined symbol "__cxa_atexit"
> >
> > Interestingly for opera, the about box says "no java runtime installed", but
> > the java preference has a validated path to the JRE....
>
> Actually, I think the problem for Opera (just guessing) is that you're not
> using FreeBSD 4.x.  Since Opera is a FreeBSD 4.x binary, I would think that
> if the JDK is compiled on 5.x or 6.x then loading its shared library into
> Opera would cause some compatibility problems.

That makes sense...too bad Opera hasn't released any non-4 binaries.

> Out of interest, what is the Java path you are telling Opera to use?  I
> tried this quickly last night on my 4.11 box.  Opera appeared to recognise
> the Java path (although I thought it was a little odd myself).  When I
> browsed to an applet it appeared to think about doing something for around
> 30 seconds but didn't end up showing the applet (no error messages though).

(I don't have access to my Fbsd desktop right now, but the way I remember
it...) I told it "/usr/local/jdk15" and opera asked "you said
/usr/local/jdk15, did you really mean /usr/local/jdk15/i386/blah?" and I
said yes and it said "/usr/local/jdk15/i386/blah has been validated!"

Mike