Could we have a progrss report on the latest wine snapshot?

Gerald Pfeifer gerald at pfeifer.com
Sun Jul 24 21:42:06 GMT 2005

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005, Robert Backhaus wrote:
> No wanting to bug you, but could we have a status report on how wine
> support is going? It is something I do use, and want to use more, as
> it improves. It's now 4 weeks since the June snapshot, and we'd like
> to at least know if there is a hold-up.

The June snapshot failed to build on FreeBSD.  Due to reports and patches
by yours truely this has been addressed for current Wine sources.

There have been other, relatively significant changes for that snapshot
of Wine which I believe need some shaking out, so I decided to wait for
the next snapshot (probably due every day now) of Wine before updating
the port again.  Things seem to build just fine these days, after some
fixes as late as last week, and I've seen one specific patch intended
to improve the interaction between Wine and FreeBSD's memory management,
so things seem to be back on track and proceed nicely.

> Also, is there anything us non- and lesser-programming users can do to
> help?

Right now, I'm afraid there isn't much that I'm aware of, except testing
things and reporting problems upstream (at http://www.winehq.com), though
this may not help much, if at all, as far as FreeBSD-specific issues are
affected. :-(

Gerald