FreeBSD Port: mono-1.0.5_1

Tom McLaughlin tmclaugh at sdf.lonestar.org
Thu Feb 3 16:02:55 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 19:09 +0100, Henrik Jönsson wrote:
> Tom McLaughlin wrote:
> >

> > Your best bet is to see how this fairs on a recent FreeBSD-current
> > install.  There are a number of changes to libpthread there which affect
> > Mono.  If it runs, then hopefully those fixes will be MFCed for 5.4.  If
> > not, I'd generate a backtrace for bin/mono and bring it to
> > freebsd-threads@ and see what they say so the crash can be fixed for a
> > future release.  Thanks.
> >
> > Tom
> >

> Thank you for your reply, I have now tried with a FreeBSD-current install.
>
> However the error remains the same (sometimes only a Segmentation fault
> (core dumped)) as in 5.3-RELEASE. I tried reinstalling mono too. I'm not
> sure I'm skilled enough to be of any more help right now, I'll have to
> learn how to do a backtrace...
>
> Thanks
> /Henke

Alright, I figured it might crash even on -current.  My -current box is
almost up.  I'll get a backtrace and bring it where it needs to go.
Thanks for letting me know that looking at XSP is still ahead of me.

Getting resolving crashes with Mono apps can be tricky.  Some apps crash
because of the C# code, some because of the unmanaged C code, and some
because bin/mono crashes.  Sometimes it's hard to tell where the crash
is.  In general to deal with a crash in bin/mono (like what is happening
with XSP) you do the following.

$ gdb /usr/local/bin/mono
(gdb) run /path/to/c-sharp/app.exe

With XSP you you need to cd to /usr/local/share/doc/xsp/test first
because xsp assumes by default that it's document root is the current
directory.  I'll take a look at it soon though.  Thanks.

Tom

--

BSD# Project - Porting Mono to FreeBSD
http://forge.novell.com/modules/xfmod/project/?bsd-sharp