USE_RC_SUBR and local_startup scripts in the base rcorder

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at people.tecnik93.com
Tue Dec 6 17:11:25 GMT 2005

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 12:32:00 -0800
Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> The change I warned about the other day has now been made in HEAD.
> I've attached a patch that provides an example of how to convert a
> port (in this case nsd), to take advantage of the new system.

 [ ... ]

> Once most of the bogons have been shaken out with this change in
> HEAD, I plan to MFC it to RELENG_6 ASAP, definitely before
> 6.1-RELEASE. So, we need your help to try and update these scripts as
> soon as possible as well.

 [ ... ]

Do you plan to MFC in 5-STABLE and 4-STABLE also ?

USE_RC_SUBR= some_rc_file.in won't work with both old and new style
scripts because bsd.port.mk adds .sh to ${USE_RC_SUBR} at install time

The way it is now we either have to replicate USE_RC_SUBR logic from
bsd.port.mk in ech port; or patch bsd.port.mk to add .sh extension only
for OSVERSION <= 700006 (and after MFC 60000x, ...).

The former would either;

- assume scripts ending in .sh.in (i.e. files/script.sh.in) are old
style and those ending only in .in are new style and install the former
unconditionally as "script.sh" and the later as "script" for
OSVERSION > 700006 and "script.sh" for the rest.
(If we go this way we have to check for each port with
USE_RC_SUBR= script.in that script.in is a new style script)

- or drop adding .sh to ${USE_RC_SUBR } from bsd.port.mk
(and convert all scrips to the new way) :-)

I'm willing to work on either solution rather that re-writing my ports
each MFC in various branches. Of course, for the second solution the
maintainers of the respective ports are much more knowledgeable that me
on what that port REQUIRES.

I'd be really happy to know if we go for a general solution or I patch
my ports and send-pr for them tonight.

Thanks,

--
IOnut - Unregistered ;) FreeBSD "user"

Yes, it is written.  Good shall always destroy evil.
		-- Sirah the Yang, "The Omega Glory", stardate unknown