please test: Secure ports tree updating

Marian Hettwer Mh at kernel32.de
Wed Oct 27 04:31:51 PDT 2004

Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Colin Percival <colin.percival at wadham.ox.ac.uk> writes:
>
>>CVSup is slow, insecure, and a memory hog.
>

> if cvsup is slow, you're not using it right.
>
> I'm sure portsnap is a wonderful piece of software, but there's no
> need to spread FUD about cvsup to promote it.

ACK.
I don't believe cvsup is slow. Well, at least it's not slower than
Gentoo's emerge (rsync based AFAIK) or OpenBSD's way of just using
anonCVS via ssh.

However, cvsup _is_ insecure and I don't like that it's based on
modula3. I really have no program which uses m3 apart from CVSUP.

So, well, perhaps portsnap is a nice replacement. Who knows ? :)
(ah, jeah, Colin knows ;-D )

best regards,
Marian