alternative options for ports

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Thu Oct 14 03:40:54 PDT 2004

On Thursday 14 October 2004 11:53, Sergei Kolobov wrote:

> AFAIK, OpenBSD has a feature called "port flavours" (if I'm not mistaken).
> I confess I haven't look into it in detail (yet) but it looks like
> it does exactly what you describe. That is, the port Makefile specifies
> something like:
>
> FLAVOURS= gtk kde athena
>
> which produces the corresponding vim-gtk, vim-kde, and vim-athena packages
> from a *signle* port, without a need to create a multitude of slave ports.

FLAVORS is more or less a standardized way of WITH/WITHOUT switches (i.e.,
kinda like OPTIONS). The packaging stuff comes from
MULTI_PACKAGES/SUBPACKAGE, but those aren't exactly magic either.

> Is there anybody working to bring this feature in our bsd.port.mk?

I really don't think we want this. It doesn't achieve anything except saving a
few directories in cvs and on people's harddisks - the port Makefiles become
just as convuluted and messy as ports in our tree with lots of build options
and you end up with multiple plist files in one port directory if you do
multipackages.

Slave ports are the better thing, IMHO - easier to use (just find the right
directory and type make, done - no finding out which flavors/options are
available and setting up some config to select them), easier to see for
people which port produces what package and less messy port
Makefiles/directories.

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org