alternative options for ports

Sergei Kolobov sergei at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 14 02:55:22 PDT 2004

On 2004-10-14 at 00:54 +0200, Sebastian Schulze Struchtrup wrote:
> I thought of a way to specify configurations to build several packages
> of the same port (of course with a diff. suffix) [called port variations
> by David]
> E.g. build the vim port three times,
> First, with default options and WITH_GTK2 resulting in a package vim-gtk2
> Then with default options and WITH_KDE resulting in vim-kde
> And then with default options and WITH_ATHENA resulting in vim-athena.
> I don't know if there is a clean solution, but I remember that this is
> (at least in some cases) handled with diff ports and setting MASTERDIR
> and including the master's makefile.
> But this would lead to many add. ports just for package building...

AFAIK, OpenBSD has a feature called "port flavours" (if I'm not mistaken).
I confess I haven't look into it in detail (yet) but it looks like
it does exactly what you describe. That is, the port Makefile specifies
something like:

FLAVOURS=	gtk kde athena

which produces the corresponding vim-gtk, vim-kde, and vim-athena packages
from a *signle* port, without a need to create a multitude of slave ports.

Is there anybody working to bring this feature in our bsd.port.mk?

Sergei