runtime errors with iozone21

Simon Barner barner at gmx.de
Sun Oct 3 16:04:35 PDT 2004

> Maintainer is 'ports at FreeBSD.org', which means more or less that nobody
> feels responsable for it. I've looked under the hood, but at first sight
> it seem because the timing functions cannot keep upt with the fast
> return of the read call and time seems to be zero.
> Now this requires a serious overhaul of iozone21 to get a more accurate
> timing.
>
> Would it not be better to just retire this port??
> Especially zince there is a better version of iozone!

Hi,

the reason why there a two versions of iozone can be found in iozone21's
pkg-descr:

[...]
This is the 2.1 version of iozone.  The new 3.x+ versions of iozone have
completely changed their testing methods, thus their output is useless
in comparing with older statistics.
[...]

Of course, this message was added Sun Jan 9 22:51:21 2000 UTC, so maybe
your idea of retiring the port is still right.

Simon