runtime errors with iozone21

Willem Jan Withagen wjw at withagen.nl
Sun Oct 3 15:37:42 PDT 2004

Hi,

by accident I installed iozone21, but that version is seriously sick
when running on 5.x and up systems. Both i386 and amd64:

------
[~] root at opteron> iozone21 auto

        IOZONE: Performance Test of Sequential File I/O  --  V2.01
(10/21/94)
                By Bill Norcott

        Operating System: FreeBSD 2.x -- using fsync()

IOZONE: auto-test mode

        MB      reclen  bytes/sec written   bytes/sec read
        1       512     22369621            44739242
        1       1024    33554432            134217728
        1       2048    67108864            134217728

I/O error during read.  Try again with the command:

        iozone 1 2048   (i.e. record size = 2048 bytes)

I/O error during read.  Try again with the command:

        iozone 1 4096   (i.e. record size = 4096 bytes)
-----

Maintainer is 'ports at FreeBSD.org', which means more or less that nobody
feels responsable for it. I've looked under the hood, but at first sight
it seem because the timing functions cannot keep upt with the fast
return of the read call and time seems to be zero.
Now this requires a serious overhaul of iozone21 to get a more accurate
timing.

Would it not be better to just retire this port??
Especially zince there is a better version of iozone!

--WjW